Support our firefighters

History Honor Education

LEARN MORE HERE!

Watch The Legacy Project

Learn about The Dallas Fire Fighters Museum and the legacy of fire fighting in the Dallas area.

Historic Photos & Movies

This Day in History

August

1 1963.

Station #22 opens at #12200 Coit Road. All fire fighting equipment was moved from Central Fire Station. This equipment was moved to a new station at Oakland and Junius and to #1 Station at Ross and Leonard. Thus for the first time since 1929, heavy equipment no longer responds from the headquarters station.
1970. At 10:51 p.m. a fire was reported at 3916 Main Street in a one story old brick office building. A defective fluorescent lamp was to blame for the $122,000 loss. The building was owned by W. C. Stearman, Jr. and occupied by Howard Pollock.
1973. At 6:01 a.m. DFD responded to 6410 Gaston Avenue to a 1 story old brick nightclub owned by Corrigan Properties and occupied by “The Corporation Club.” An adult committing arson for fraud and profit was to blame for the 4 alarm fire that resulted in $277,556 in damage. Also damaged or destroyed were Margie’s Dress Shop at 6420 Gaston, Shamrock Beauty Shop at 6406 Gaston, Lakewood Pet Shop at 6404 Gaston, and Oliver Scott Pawn Shop at 6402 Gaston.
1975. At 4:15 a.m. a fire was reported at 906 S. Harwood in a 4 story old masonry warehouse owned and occupied by Pure Ice & Cold Storage Company. A defective electrical compressor was to blame for the $182,391 fire loss. The fire grew to 4 alarms and also damaged 2011 Taylor Street at Byrd’s Café.
Later the same date another fire was reported at 1:21 p.m. at 8231 Preston Road in a 1 story old brick commercial building owned by Joe Li. Sotta and occupied by Alex Halleck’s Fried Chicken. The cause of the $142,799 fire could not be determined and damage was done to Preston Road Auto parts at 8225 Preston, Yearout T. V. Sales at 8223 Preston, Circle Equipment Company at 8221 Preston, and White Star laundry at 8219 Preston.
2007. EMS Shift Duty Officer 782 was relocated from Station 23 to Fire
Station 38.
2 1956. A four alarm fire occurred at 3220 Parry Avenue and 3220 Ahs Lane. The building was owned by Willie Mae Tarver and occupied by Klimist Store Fixture Mfg. & W.R. Burford Construction Office. The cause of the fire was friction sparks in a sawdust hopper and the loss was $52,759.

A Modern Museum

Our goal is to redefine the interior space of the Museum in order to create exhibits and preserve the antique equipment, artifacts and photos for generations to come. Below is the floor plan for the renovation of the first floor exhibit featuring all firefighting equipment and machinery. By changing the interior footprint, The Dallas Firefighters Museum simultaneously will lay the foundation for expanded outreach to thousands of schoolchildren.
Read More

© Dallas Firefighters Museum 2011 |